Sunday, March 27, 2011

Handwriting on the wall...

One term that's commonly used in our language is "Handwriting on the wall", yet correctly "Writing on the wall" mostly translated to "knowing about the outcome", or "the decision is made regardless of the fact", related to doom and gloom. Being a curious guy, I wanted to see where this phrase came from. It actually dates back to the book of Daniel, way back when around 170 BC:

King Belshazzar of Babylon during one of his wild drinking parties, takes sacred golden and silver vessels, which had been removed from Solomon's Temple and while using these holy items, the King praises "the gods of gold and silver, brass, iron, wood, and stone."

Immediately, the disembodied fingers of a human hand appear and write on the wall of the royal palace the words "Mene, Mene, Tekel u-Pharsin," loosely translated as Measured, Measured, Weighed and Divided (possibly by by Persians.)

Now regardless of your belief in this stuff, I would say if a couple of fingers appeared in the middle of my living room and started writing on the wall, I would... honestly I don't know what I would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment